Can't find the words to say how you really feel this Valentine's Day? Skip the clichés and use words from classic literature to sprinkle a little literary magic on your own love notes.
Or if you'd rather celebrate the power of friendship instead, send a Galentine's Day message to your bestie with a thoughtful quote that lets them know they're the Diana to your Anne – because true friendships are love stories too.
Here's our top 10 iconic lines from classic fiction to inspire you:
1. "There are darknesses in life and there are lights; you are one of the lights, the light of all lights" Dracula by Bram Stoker
Dracula might not be an obvious choice for Valentine's Day inspiration but how beautiful is this quote? And who wouldn't want to be told that they're the light of all lights? But preferably without the whole evil undead bloodsucking bit!
2. "I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be" Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Throw reason out the window, because love doesn't play by rules or logic! You love who you love. Dickens knew that and so do you.
3. "I don't want sunbursts or marble halls, I just want you." Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
Don't worry too much about grand romantic gestures or trying to create a 'perfect moment' this Valentine's Day. Deep down, you know it's really just those simple moments of warmth and connection that make your heart skip a beat. (Though the occasional big gesture can always be enjoyed too!)
4. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I love and admire you." Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
We probably could have picked 10 quotes just from Jane Austen's work alone for this list. As an author, she had the most uncanny knack for capturing complex emotions in perfectly formed prose. Use this one if you've been holding back on sharing your true feelings with someone special.
5. "True love is the best thing in the world, except for cough drops." - The Princess Bride by William Goldman
In sickness and in health? If you've found someone who'll bring you cough drops when you need them, then you've got yourself a keeper!
6. "Don't waste your love on somebody, who doesn't value it." Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Send a dose of Shakespearean wisdom to that friend who needs a little reminder not to waste their time on anyone who doesn't appreciate just how awesome they are!
7. "There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends." The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Shared experiences just seem to have a way of binding true friends together for life. Remind your bestie of all you've been through together – the good, the bad, and the stomach-churning!
8. "True friends are always together in spirit." Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
Can't be there in person? Let your closest friends and kindred sprits know they're always in your thoughts.
9. "I could never love anyone as I love my sisters." Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Celebrate the unbreakable bonds of friendship and sisterhood because life's adventures are so much better when you've got your loved ones by your side.
10. "She is a friend of my mind. She gathers me, man. The pieces I am, she gathers them and gives them back to me in all the right order." Beloved by Toni Morrison
Some friends just get you. They understand what makes you tick and when life threatens to break you apart, they're there to help pick up the pieces - make sure they know just how much you appreciate that.
Enjoy A Literary Love Affair
Hey, book-lover, can you fall in love at the first line? Embark on a blind date with a book to discover your next great literary love.
Surprise your favourite book-lover with a relaxing evening of bookish delight or just treat yourself to a unexpected surprise.